Sunday, January 20, 2013

Now I want access to a giant rotator. Not right now, but I'm sure I can find a good use for one.


Now I want access to a giant rotator. Not right now, but I'm sure I can find a good use for one.
#sculpture #architecture

Originally shared by TECHNICS


Turning the Place Over, 2007-2011 engineering art

This consisted of an 8 metres diameter ovoid cut from the façade of a disused building in Liverpool, England, and made to oscillate in three dimensions. The revolving part of the façade rested on a specially designed giant rotator, usually used in the shipping and nuclear industries. When at rest the ovoid section of façade would fit flush into the rest of the building. As it rotates, the facade will not only become completely inverted but will also oscillate into the building and out into the street, revealing the interior of the building, and only being flush with the building at one point during its rotation. via • goo.gl/p8Q5t