Sunday, June 8, 2014

During my visit to London last month, I visited the Tate Britain for the first time, and had a chance to see some of...

During my visit to London last month, I visited the Tate Britain for the first time, and had a chance to see some of Turner's oil paintings, watercolors, and sketchbooks.

Oh, the sketchbooks! This man seemed to never stop drawing. If you can imagine this, he even did reportage water coloring: he rushed to a fire in a historic building and did a series of watercolors of the scene as the building burned. I mean... Wow.

You can page through many of his textbooks on the Tate website. Don't do this on your phone: the drawings can be subtle pencil outlines which need to be blown up to appreciate. Yes, every few pages, he paints a lovely little watercolor.

#drawing #painting #tatebritain #turner
http://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-landscape-with-a-kiln-r1140977