Sunday, March 31, 2019

Have I written about my color collecting habit yet?

color palette for a patterned carpet

So, I'm a watercolor painter (among many other things), and I'm pretty fussy about my colors.  I've got some construction coming up in my house, and so I've been on a color-collecting bender.  Conveniently, there is an app for that (of course), and I've resumed using it to photograph colors that please me, or even photograph other photos with a charming color, and sample the areas that could do something for me.

While I've found that the colors on my screen differ from the paint chip samples in the store, that is reasonable: screen colors are internally lit, paint chips are reflective - there SHOULD be a difference, even with a color-calibrated monitor.  Also, lighting matters - a color that looks great in natural light may be less satisfying in artificial light, and so it is worth taking samples home to test it out.  Even colors that I like IN REAL LIFE sometimes are annoying in a small room (as I learned while testing colors in my bathroom - a pale green that looked good in a large space made my bathroom feel like an ice-cream-colored closet.

I've got some nice colors going!