Sunday, August 23, 2026

Duboce Park and thereabouts

Instax mini prints of various Victorian-style houses in harsh sunlight plus a few other subjects arranged on a placemat

The sun broke through the clouds in the afternoon, so I went out to scope out photography subjects with my Lomo Instant Wide Glass camera and a half neutral-density filter starting at Duboce Park.  The camera can handle both Instax Mini and (with a different back) Instax Square film.  I was more in a Mini mood, and meandered north and east from the park, which has many lovely homes adjacent to it.

I primarily looked at Victorian-style homes, especially those that are colorful or have unusual detailing.  That was fun!  This subject is well-received on my Lomohome to my pleasant surprise.  However, I have to manually scan the prints, and still have a box from May 2025 awaiting scanning, so it could be a while.

Instax mini prints of various Victorian-style houses in harsh sunlight plus a few other subjects arranged on a placemat

It was strange to feel like I was baking in the sun, and then return home on the streetcar and emerge back in a fog belt.  I had to change clothes from sweating so much!  But the walk was pleasant and I saw some houses I hadn't seen before.  I was even invited inside a church to take in the view of the stained glass from the inside, and apparently share instant camera tastes with a child who was also at the church. :). (Good taste, kid!)