Sunday, September 6, 2026

Learning about shipbuilding


Autumn foliage at Salesforce Park; two scenes of the Building 12 Warehouse at Potrero Point

I visited Building 12 at Potrero Point yesterday, and learned that the ship building facilities there had an entire floor of that building devoted to scaling up drawings of the steel plates for the ship and making them out of what appeared to be heavy paper, before sending them down to be applied to steel plate and cut.  I'm choosing now to think of ships as just very large items of clothing. :D

 
Details of blueprints of the ships Charleston and Olympia made at Union Iron Works, San Francisco

In addition to the historic information, there is always a good exhibit with a few works by several artists in the main lobby just north of the red stairwell.  I'm always happy to take a detour to see what is on view.